Vogue like a painting
Paseo del Prado, 8, 28014 Madrid, Spain
This exhibition brings together sixty fashion photographs inspired by painting. The photographs, from the Vogue Archive, are the work of great photographers of the past three decades.
Spanish Golden Age painting, Dutch portraiture, pictures from the Victorian period and the Pre-Raphaelites, as well as the various schools of painting represented in the European royal collections, have provided a model for the photographers who, focusing on female beauty, have shaped the image of Vogue magazine over the years and have also been an example for many contemporary artists. Traces of the work of Constable, Zuloaga and Sorolla, among others, are present in the pieces on display in this show, which combines leading names in classic photography with the talent of new generations, including Irving Penn, Annie Leibovitz, Tim Walker, Paolo Roversi, Steven Klein, David Sims, Erwin Olaf, Michael Thompson, Mario Testino and Peter Lindbergh, to name a few.
1. One enchanted evening, Taormina, Sicilia, 2012 © Peter Lindbergh
2. One enchanted evening, Taormina, Sicilia, 2012 © Peter Lindbergh
3. Rooney Mara, 2011 © Mert Alas and Marcus Piggott
4. Mujer Sola (A Single Women), 2010 © Camilla Akrans
5. Ohne Titel, 1949 © Clifford Coffin